While travel did open up at the end of 2021, skiing families didn’t rush for the slopes of the USA, Canada or Europe. But things are looking up for this season. We spoke to the major companies to see which resorts Aussie families are planning to visit for their winter of 2022/23 snow holiday.
Three top tips for booking a family snow holiday from our experts
- Have a budget, so your travel agent can help you choose the appropriate place.
- Make sure you know the proximity of the accommodation to the slopes and ski school – how far it is to walk with small children, and if you need to pre-book ski school.
- Book early so you get the right property and the best deals.
- Keep in mind ALL members of the family or travelling party as to their ski ability, favourite things to do etc – you want to make the experience good for all.
- Pick a large resort that will keep you entertained for a couple of weeks so you don’t need to swap resorts mid-stay and cut down the travel. A day of moving resorts is a day of travelling, packing and unpacking.
- Book early so you don’t miss out on the specials and seats on the plane especially in early January.
- Some resorts are way better for families (kids ski school lessons etc) – this is a big factor for families to choose where to go. A travel agency can help you choose a resort that caters to all the family.
- Pre-book lessons, group for the children and privates for the others, as these fill up quickly.
- Pre-organise transfers and grocery deliveries to your property if available and take it easy on the first couple of days, especially in higher altitudes.